Fully Funded Korean Government Scholarship Program 2017
The Korean Government Scholarship Program for undergraduate degrees is designed to provide international students with opportunities to study at higher educational institutions in Korea for Bachelor-level degrees, which in turn will contribute to promoting the international exchange in education and to deepening the mutual friendship among countries.
GKS (Global Korea Scholarship) Program is a scholarship program that paid by the Government of the Republic of Korea for foreign nationals in the Republic of Korea and the Ministry of Education organized, responsible for the project implementation agency directly under the Ministry of Education National Institute for International Education.
Applicants with certified scores on their proficiency in Korean or in English might be given preference. Some examples include the following: – Proficiency in Korean: TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) – Proficiency in English: TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS Academic.
- Airplane Ticket or Airfare: The scholarship covers an economy class flight with the shortest route between a scholar’s country and Korea. A one-way ticket to Korea will be offered to each scholar at the beginning of the scholarship program; another one-way ticket from Korea will be offered for those who complete their studies under the scholarship program;
- Monthly Stipend: 800,000 KRW per month;
- Tuition: The tuition fee up to 5 million KRW is covered by NIIED. In case the tuition is higher than 5 million KRW, the exceeding amount is covered by the host university. The university entrance fee is covered by the host university;
- Settlement Allowance: 200,000 KRW upon arrival;
- Scholarship Completion Grants: 100,000 KRW upon completion of studies;
- Korean Language Training: The full cost for the 1 year is covered by NIIED and the language institution.
- Medical Insurance: Scholars are covered by health insurance for major accidents and illnesses during their scholarship period;
- Korean Proficiency Grants: Scholars with level 5 or 6 on TOPIK will receive 100,000 KRW won per month during the degree program.
- Citizen: An applicant and his or her parents must be citizens of the country where this scholarship is offered. Neither the applicant nor the parents should hold the Korean citizenship.
- Age:An applicant must be under 25 years of age as of March 1, 2017 (Should be born after March, 1, 1992).
- Health: An applicant must be in good health, both physically and mentally.
- Those with disabilities, but in good mental and physical health, are eligible to apply.
- Those with severe illness are not eligible to apply.
- Level of education: An applicant must have graduated or be expected to graduate from a high school as of March 1, 2017
- Those who have already achieved a Bachelor’s degree or a higher degree are not eligible to apply.
- Those who have graduated or are expected to graduate from a high school in Korea are not eligible to apply.
- Grades: An applicant must either have the cumulative grade point average (C.G.P.A.) of 80% (out of 100%), or be ranked within the top 20% throughout the entire high school period.
- P.A. should be 2.64/4.0, 2.80/4.3, 2.91/4.5, 3.23/5.0 or higher
- If an applicant’s high school has an evaluation system different from the above scales, see 7-(2).
- An applicant should never have been awarded with any scholarship programs from Korea for an undergraduate degree program.
- An applicant must have no limitations in travelling abroad
- Applicants who have proficiency in the Korean or English language will be given preference.
- Descendants of the Korean War veterans will be given preference.
- An applicant is restricted to apply either for the Embassy Track or for the Regional University Track. Applicants who apply for both tracks will be automatically disqualified and their applications will be eliminated.
- Nationality: Total Number of Scholars to Be Selected: 79 [from 63 countries]: Afghanistan, El Salvador, Mexico, Singapore, Angola, Ethiopia, Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Azerbaijan, Gabon, Mozambique, Sweden, Bangladesh, Ghana, Myanmar, Tajikistan, Bolivia, Guatemala, Nepal, Tanzania, Brazil, India, Nigeria, Thailand, Bulgaria, Indonesia, Pakistan, Timor-Este, Bhutan, Iran, Panama, Trinidad and Tobago, Cambodia, Iraq, Paraguay, Turkey, Chile, Japan, Peru, Turkmenistan, Colombia, Jordan, Philippines, Uganda, Congo(DRC), Kazakhstan, Poland, Ukraine, Dominican Republic, Kenya, Russia, Uruguay, Ecuador, Kyrgyzstan, Rwanda, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Laos, Senegal, Venezuela, Malaysia, Sudan and Vietnam.
- Applicants must choose their desired fields of study from the listed programs in the University Information section provided by participating universities (for scholarship via Korean Embassies) or Engineering or Nature Science majors of study from the listed programs in the Regional University Information (for scholarship via the Regional Universities). The field of study which exceeds 4 years (e.g. Medicine, dentistry, architecture, pharmacy) is not allowed even though it is included in the above mentioned book.
College Admission Requirement:
- Entrance Requirement: An applicant must either have the cumulative grade point average (C.G.P.A.) of 80% (out of 100%), or be ranked within the top 20% throughout the entire high school period.
- Test Requirement: No
- English Language Requirement: Applicants with certified scores on their proficiency in Korean or in English might be given preference. Some examples include the following: – Proficiency in Korean: TOPIK (Test of Proficiency in Korean) – Proficiency in English: TOEFL, TOEIC, or IELTS Academic.
How to Apply?
Submission of required documents, applicants should contact the appropriate Korean Embassy (or Korean Education Center) in the country of applicant’s origin (or in the neighboring country) or the designated regional university, the organization in charge of the 1st round of selection. To be selected as a KGSP grantee, any applicant should successfully pass through the 1st selection process set by the Korean embassies of his or her origin. So to apply for the program, please contact the 1st selection organizations to get detailed information on the 1st selection process such as application deadline and required documents, etc.