Fully Funded Diplomacy Fellowship – MUN Institute in United States 2017
Location: Model United Nations (MUN) Institute in New York City, United States
Type: Fully Funded
The Diplomacy Fellowship is a paid eight week summer fellowship for top university students or graduates with significant Model UN achievements, leadership experience, and interest in educating the next generation of student leaders. As part of the Diplomacy Fellowship, staff serve as “Model UN Mentors” for the Model United Nations Institute. The vast majority of past MUN Mentors have been Presidents, Secretaries-General, Head Delegates, or other leaders within their university Model UN programs. Top Mentors continue on to work on paid Best Delegate workshops and projects throughout the school year.
MUN Mentors will be the staff responsible for classroom instruction and mentoring students who attend MUNI. Mentors will be trained to teach high school and middle school students during the first weeks of the summer, either at Austin College or Southwestern University. Afterward, Mentors will travel with the team to teach and mentor at other programs.
The Diplomacy Fellowship is a competitive program that seeks to recruit Best Delegates who are capable of bringing out the best in other highly talented and passionate delegates. Applicants should demonstrate the following criteria:
- Currently attending or graduated from a university with a strong Model UN program.
- Minimum age of applicants is 18 years old. Applicants who are 21+ are preferred.
- Citizens or residents who are legally allowed to work in the United States. If not, applicants must not require sponsorship for a visa to enter the United States during the fellowship term and will be responsible for all visa applications and fees if not a US citizen.
- Must pass a background check upon conditional acceptance into the program.
- Demonstrated track record of winning awards as a delegate with preference given to those who are part of a top-ranked university Model UN travel team
- Experience with classroom teaching or lesson planning is highly preferred, and experience training a travel team or with outreach programs is also preferred.
- Experience chairing committees as a university student and expertise in standard North American procedure is required.
- Experience with crisis committees or conference organizing is a plus.
- Past experience as a participant in the Model United Nations Institute or in the North America high school circuit, particularly for a top-ranked travel team, is a plus
- Understands how to deliver a high quality educational experience to students.
- Ability to explain complex concepts in simple, organized frameworks and formulas.
- Research, writing, and editing skills must be at an advanced university level.
- Enjoys working with students and possesses a fun and engaging personality.
- Comfortable in providing honest feedback and mentoring to students.
- Willingness to go above and beyond to ensure the program is as successful as possible.
- Always striving to bring out the best in others — in their students, teammates, and themselves — in order to prepare today’s students to be tomorrow’s leaders
- Passion for the global Model UN community
- Open to constructive and honest feedback
- Professionalism in communication, teamwork, and work ethic
The total compensation for the Diplomacy Fellowship is valued at around $10,000 as it includes several stipends, housing, meals, and transportation. Benefits for the Diplomacy Fellowship include:
- $3,500 stipend for the Fellowship
- $350 travel stipend to arrive in Austin, Texas on June 10, 2017 and depart from either Boston or Los Angeles on August 5, 2017. The travel stipend is location neutral and not subject to adjustment.
- $50 technology stipend for phone and data usage.
- Housing will be provided throughout the Fellowship term arriving on June 10, 2017 and departing on August 5, 2017.
- 17 meals will be provided each week. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be provided during all weekday program dates. Saturday breakfast and Sunday dinner will be provided. Meals for the day will be provided if staff are working either Saturday or Sunday for residential check-in/check-out or weekend trips.
- Flights, trains, or local transportation between program locations is covered.
- Certificate of Completion and MUN Institute Gavel upon passing Staff Training during the first week.
- Best Delegate lapel pin and Best Delegate T-shirt.